Thursday, July 28, 2011

And Sew It Begins

Step1
 
To start out I took all my fabrics and cut strips out of them. There was no rhyme of reason to the way I cut the strips; I just cut them in 2-4 inch strips. The only thing I did worry about was keeping them abotu the same length. To do this easily, I recommend folding your yardage in half when cutting. Most of my strips are around 20 inches long. 
I also did not worry about having an even number of each color of fabric. This quilt is all abotu using up the scraps I have around in a randomly-fun creative way.
The more variety in the shape and width of the strips the better. That's because this is where the uniqueness of each block will come from. The more variety you add now, the more interesting the end product will be.

I have not yet decided what size quilt I will be making. All I know is that I want ti to be BIG. This pattern is great for that because I can start making blacks now and add more fabrics later if I want to make the quilt bigger or if I ran out of fabric. The blacks will all be mixed up in the end to make the top of the quilt to no one will ever know the difference (our little secret).

Step 2

Throw your strips on the floor! You heard me right! Throw them on the floor and mix them up. 
Think of it like making cookies. You want all the ingredients evenly mixed up. 
After this, I put my strips on a paper bag. As I sew my strips together, I'll randomly pull them out of the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment